11 June 2008

I Heart the Beach

What is it about the beach that instantly drops your blood pressure the second your toes sink into the sand? Although I live in Boston, which is by no means known as a tropical destination, I am a 15 minute drive from the ocean and several sandy beaches. Sure there are no (real) palm trees, old wooden roller coasters, cotton candy, nor any quarter arcades (skee ball, anyone?), but there are cool breezes, squawking seagulls, crashing waves, two subway stations, and the occasional jumbo jet overhead. One of my favorite things to do is watch the transatlantic flights fly low over the beach on their way to landing a few miles away at Logan Airport. Ha! I'm easily entertained, but ya'll already knew that.
So today I salute beaches. All beaches, not just mine. The sandy ones, especially. What better way to beat the heat?
I took this photo while laying in the sand on Hampton Beach, NH, but MY go-to beach is Revere Beach, in Revere, MA.

No comments: