15 September 2010

Prost! Let the games begin!

I'm about to embark on my first trip to Germany. The occasion? My dear friend Dörte has invited me, and a bunch of other fun folk to celebrate her birthday in her hometown in Thielbeer. Although, that's reason enough to go, as luck would have it, her birthday just happens to coincide with the most famous (and longest running) wedding celebration on Earth: OKTOBERFEST!

Oh yeah...I'm so there.
Anyway, I thought I'd share some facts about this amazing event, just in case I'm in no condition to do so later! ;-)


  • In 1997, Oktoberfesters consumed more than 5 ½ million liters of beer, about 45,000 liters of wine, and almost 165,000 liters of nonalcoholic beer.

  • The local name for Oktoberfest, "Wies'n," is derived from Theresienwiese, the name of the field on which the festival is held.

  • The festival halls in Munich can seat 94,000 people.

  • The beers that the Munich breweries produce specially for Oktoberfest contain 4.5 percent alcohol.

  • Cincinnati, Ohio, which claims to hold the "largest authentic Oktoberfest" in the U.S., draws about 500,000 people to its celebration.
  • Thanks to http://www.everythingaboutgermany.com/Oktoberfest/OktoberfestHistory.htm for the info.
  • No comments: