20 August 2007

New England Surfing???

Some time during the research and planning stages of my first trip to California this past July, I became enamored with the idea of surfing. Nah, I haven't seen the movie Blue Crush (yet), and I must admit that although I can swim, I'm a little afraid of the water! And in spite of all this, I've allowed myself to imagine myself on a surfboard. Yeah. Right. Sure!
Ok, with the craptacular shape that I'm in now, it's not really feasible...but I've decided to stop looking for reasons NOT to try it (I don't live in california, my center of gravity is in a less than advantageous location, I don't dig sharks), and start looking for ways to make this happen.
With a little Google help, I found quite a few surf shops on the east coast...yet most in much warmer places than here! But a with a little more digging I discovered Wahine Kai Surf Company. Wahine Kai means Woman of the Sea...or something like that, and it's a Maine based surf shop that not only teaches surfing to girls and women, but they also create surfboards scaled to a woman's body. As much as I'd LOVE to learn with these surf divas, Maine is just a little toooo far from Boston to make it a feasible option for a day tripper like myself.
Then I found a link for Cinnamon Rainbows Surf Company. This shop is based in Hampton Beach, NH, which is a little over an hour north of Boston. They give lessons from May through the end of September, and tout a clientele ranging in age from age 4 to age 70! Hell, if they can teach a 70 year old, maybe they can work with me??? Anyhooo, they're at the top of my list now.
So, I've found a shop that's close enough to drive to from Boston...but what about the surf? I already know that the water this far north is colder than a witch's teet (I never get tired of saying that!!!), but what about the waves? I've never seen a wave big enough to surf on at any of the beaches in the Boston area. Ok, so I've only really been to 3... So, I was a little skeptical that there would be any surf to learn on! Side note: um, duh, I don't think these companies would be in business if there was no surf in these locations, but I like to see what I'm dealing with first hand.
So I've included a picture I took this weekend at the beach. Not too bad. Good waves were coming in, but they looked tame enough to learn on.
Stay tuned! I don't think I'll try it this year, because I have quite a few pounds to lose before I'm crazy enough to wear a wetsuit...but my goal is to be on my feet on a surfboard...hangin' ten, or whatever a year from now. Pray for me!

No comments: